Target Center Implementation Committee to Hold First Meeting
Committee to begin process of setting City’s priorities for design, public-realm improvements
October 18, 2012 (MINNEAPOLIS) — The City of Minneapolis’ Target Center Implementation Committee will hold its first meeting today. While negotiations between the City, the Minnesota Timberwolves and other partners about the scope and costs of Target Center renovation are ongoing, the Implementation Committee will begin the process of setting the City’s priorities for the design of the renovated Target Center and improvements to the public realm in the surrounding area.
The committee will meet from 4:30–6:00 p.m. today in Hospitality Rooms A and B at the Target Center.
“While other cities that built arenas at the same time as Target Center have already torn them down and built new ones at great expense, in Minneapolis, we’re sensibly renovating an existing asset at far less cost,” said Mayor R.T. Rybak. “The Implementation Committee will help us make sure that a renovated Target Center lives up to its potential as a jewel of downtown Minneapolis.”
The Target Center Implementation Committee is chaired by Jerry Bell, chairman of the Minnesota Twins.
Mayor R.T. Rybak, City Council President Barbara Johnson and City Council Members Elizabeth Glidden, Lisa Goodman, John Quincy, Don Samuels and Meg Tuthill represent the City of Minneapolis on the committee.
The following individuals also serve on the Target Center Implementation Committee:
- Tim Baylor — Founder and president, JADT Development Group
- Steve Benson — President, Benson Medical
- Pat Denzer — Resident
- Kevin Dooley — Adjunct faculty member, University of Minnesota Law School
- Kelly Doran — Founder, Doran Companies
- David Evelo — Resident
- Archie Givens — President and CEO, Legacy Management & Development Corporation
- Devean George — Founder and president, George Group North
- Joanne Kaufman — Executive director, Warehouse District Business Association
- Fred Krohn — Resident
- Dan McConnell — Business manager, Minneapolis Building and Construction Trades Council
- Andrew Parker — Partner, Parker Rosen LLC
- Karen Rosar — Vice president, North Loop Neighborhood Association
- Brian Woolsey — Senior vice president, Cassidy Turley
Published Oct. 18, 2012