Top Tips for Liquor Licensees
1. Don’t sell alcohol to people under age 21 or hire anyone under the age of 18. Insist on a photo ID.
2. Don’t let anyone drink on your premises after hours, including employees.
3. Provide alcohol service training to employees within 60 days of hire and each year thereafter. This includes
- laws about sale of alcohol
- rules for identification checks
- recognizing intoxicated persons
- responsibilities of businesses that serve intoxicating liquors
4. Do not allow anyone to take open containers of alcohol from your premises.
5. Be a good neighbor.
6. Don’t allow unlawful gambling on your premises.
7. Notify the police of illegal activity.
8. Pick up litter each day.
9. Keep your insurance up-to-date.
10. Know your occupancy limit. Don’t violate it. This includes both inside and outside.
11. Have an exit plan for closing time. Encourage patrons to leave without disturbing nearby neighbors.
12. Follow your approved business plan, including hours, security and entertainment.
13. Follow these tips for discouraging patrons from drinking too much.
- Limit drink specials
- Create appetizer and drink offers
- Offer food specials during happy hour
- Add more virgin drinks to your menu
- Install kitchen equipment to diversify your menu
- Advertise food specials
14. Let us know if you make any changes. The City Council must approve the items listed below. Failure to report may result in adverse license action.
- different owners, officers, directors, shareholders, or managers
- physical changes such as enlarging your premises or adding a sidewalk café
15. Pay your taxes, fees, assessments, and fines. We cannot approve a license if you owe money to the city or state.
Contact Business Licenses.
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612- 673-3000. TTY users can call 612- 673-2157 or 612- 673-2626.
Para asistencia 612- 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612- 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Jul 9, 2019