Alcohol service policy
Here is a list of items to create an effective alcohol service policy. This protects both your employees and your business.
1. What is your policy on prohibiting sales or service of alcohol to individuals under the age of 21 years old? How will you communicate and reinforce this?
2. When will employees receive a copy of the policy? Are they required to sign that they received the policy and read it?
3. Are employees required to attend Alcohol Server Training when you hire them? Each year after that?
4. What other types of ongoing training will you provide?
- Drivers’ license
- State ID
- Military ID
6. How will you show employees the right way to check ID?
- Compare picture on ID with the customer
- Check birthday
- Examine the card for signs of falsification or tampering
- Use of an electronic ID card reading device/scanner
- Check the US Driver License Booklet
7. Where is the US Driver License Booklet located?
8. Will you set a specific age/appearance for carding or will you card everyone? Will you card all guests after 9:00 p.m.?
9. Where will you post signs about your alcohol service policy?
10. Where will you post signs informing customers about alcohol laws?
11. How will you discourage over-intoxication? Will you deny an intoxicated guest entry?
12. What will you do if someone is purchasing alcohol for an underage person?
13. How can you to discourage an obviously intoxicated person from driving home?
14. How will you stop employees or customers from drinking on the premises after hours?
15. Will you conduct Youth Alcohol Compliance Checks (Self Audits)? How often?
16. Are there rewards for employees who pass Youth Alcohol Compliance checks?
17. What are the consequences for violating this alcohol service policy?
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612- 673-3000.TTY users can call 612- 673-2157 or 612- 673-2626.
Para asistencia 612- 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612- 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Aug 21, 2019