Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Lawful Gambling in Minneapolis

Lawful Gambling in Minneapolis is restricted to Licensed Gambling Organizations and Non-Profit Organizations meeting all state and local criteria. All other gambling is prohibited by law. All Non-Profit Organizations require an Exempt Lawful Gambling Permit.

1. Submit LG 220 Application for Exempt Permit Form to the City of Minneapolis

This form is located at the Minnesota Gambling Control Board website. Follow the links including the Fundraising and Exempt Permits. This form must be completed in its entirety, including signatures from your organization’s CEO. A complete application includes the following:

Proper proof of nonprofit status is listed on the first page of the LG 220 application form. It should be noted that the option “Proof Previously Submitted” is not accepted by the City of Minneapolis. Applications will be returned or denied if proper proof of nonprofit status is not included with the application.

The processing fee is $62 per day for applications received more than 30 days before the event. This means if an organization is holding a raffle, $62 is required for the date of the drawing. If an organization is holding a three day event where bingo and pull tabs are sponsored on all three days, the fee would be $186 or $62 for each day of gambling. The fee is $100 per day for applications received less than 30 days before the event. Applications received less than ten (10) days before the event will not be accepted without prior approval of the Police License Investigator.

Organizations should send or deliver the application to the city of Minneapolis at least 60 days prior to an event. Exceptions to this can be made but an additional expedited processing fee may be assessed. A letter waiving the 6o day processing time can be requested by the organization. Requests should be made to the Police Licensing Unit at time of application. Applications submitted without the proper fee will be denied and returned to the organization.

Failure to include a self-addressed stamped envelope without the proper postage could delay the application process. Incomplete applications and/or applications submitted without the proper fee will be returned to the organization without approval. The forms may be delivered in person or sent through the mail to:

City of Minneapolis
Police Licensing Unit - Gambling Section
350 South 5th Street, Room 1A
Minneapolis, MN 55415

2. Send the Approved Application Forms to the State of Minnesota

After receiving approval from the City Council and Mayor, the application materials will be returned to you in the self-addressed, stamped envelope. You are responsible for sending the approved application form, the proper proof of nonprofit status and a $100 processing fee to:

Minnesota Gambling Control Board
1711 West County Road B, Suite 300 South
Roseville, Minnesota 55113

Applications made to the state within 30 days of the scheduled event will require a $150 expedited processing fee.

To expedite this process, an organization can include a stamped envelope addressed to for the Gambling Control Board and the check for the state processing fee with their original application materials. Minneapolis Police Licensing will forward a completed application after approval directly to the State. Proper postage is required. Records of a gambling event are required to be kept for at least three and a half years. Upon request, copies of the application will be mailed to the organization in a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Proper postage is required.

A report must be made to the State of Minnesota Gambling Control Board within thirty days of a gambling event. Follow procedures as required by the state.

For questions related to this process, please contact the Minneapolis Police Department - License Investigation Unit - (612) 673-3002


Last updated Feb 26, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo