Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

By Frey
Amending Title 14, Chapter 364 of the Minnesota Code of Ordinances relating to Liquor and Beer: Liquor Regulations.
The City Council of the City of Minneapolis do ordain as follows:
Section 1.That Section 364.40 of the above-entitled ordinance be amended to read as follows:
364.40. - Consuming in public.  (a) No person shall consume intoxicating liquor as defined by Minnesota Statutes, Section 340A.101, Subdivision 14, or nonintoxicating malt liquor as defined by Minnesota Statutes, Section 340A.101, Subdivision 19, while (1) on a public street, highway, alley, sidewalk, boulevard, or any place frequented by the public; (2) on any private property without the consent of the owner of such property; or (3) while in a vehicle upon a public highway. This section shall not prohibit the consumption of such beverages at duly licensed on-sale premises, or if otherwise authorized by law.
(b) Within the premises of the property known as the Downtown East Commons, bounded by 4th Street South, Park Avenue, 5th Street South, and 5th Avenue South, but not including any public street or sidewalk or any portion of the premises operating under the provisions of an on sale alcohol license or permit issued by the licensing official, the city council may, by resolution or ordinance, adopt rules, regulations and limitations allowing for the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages. Such rules, regulations and limitations may address any matters associated with such possession and consumption of beverage alcohol, including, but not limited to, permitted times, hours, events, locations, beverage classes and types, behavior and containers. Any violation of such a duly-adopted and posted rule, regulation or limitation shall constitute a violation of this section.

Last updated Mar 30, 2017



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service


facebook25x25 twitter25x25 youtube25x25 Minneapolis311icon logo tv 14 footer icon image linkedin_32x32