Recruit Police Officer
This is a full time position for a patrol officer. The police profession is a challenging and rewarding one. Police professionalism is based on community service and dedication to fair and honest enforcement of the laws. This specialized work, with and for the people of Minneapolis, comprises an extraordinary range of opportunities and responsibilities.
A Minneapolis Police Officer interacts with citizens to identify and solve problems in their neighborhoods; keeps law and order; makes necessary arrests; keeps records and writes reports of all important incidents; responds to citizen calls for assistance during crisis situations; patrols a beat on foot or in a patrol car; checks property, suspicious persons and all others suspicious or dangerous conditions within the City of Minneapolis; investigates complaints and conducts preliminary investigations at the scene of crime, accident or other police matters; enforces traffic laws and responds to traffic accidents; testifies in court by presenting evidence and facts; works various shifts and weekends.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must successfully complete all Minnesota P.O.S.T. Board requirements and submit proof with application.
- Out-of-state licensed Police Officers must successfully pass the P.O.S.T. reciprocity examination for the State of MN and submit proof with application.
- Must be United States Citizen
- Must not have a felony conviction
Vision no poorer than 20/100 without correction in the poorer eye; correctable to 20/40 in both eyes. Ability to distinguish the colors red, yellow and green.
Possess standard hearing average threshold without correction or no worse than a 40-decible loss on the average at 500, 1,000 and 3,000 Hertz frequencies in the better ear.
Must be deemed medically and psychologically fit and successfully pass a drug and alcohol screening prior to hire.
Candidates for a sworn position, whom are Minnesota residents, will be required to apply for and obtain a “Minnesota State Permit to Acquire Handguns from Federal Firearms Dealers” from the jurisdiction where they reside. Candidates will be required to provide proof to their background investigator.
Meet physical fitness standards as established by the Minneapolis Police Department. These fitness standards will be measured by a physical fitness test administered by the Minneapolis Police Department as part of the selection process.
Employees will be expected to maintain their physical fitness levels according to standards set by the Minneapolis Police Department as a term and condition of continued employment. Learn more about the physical fitness standards and tips on preparing for the fitness exam.
Pass thorough background investigation that includes meeting department standards regarding acceptable employment history, honesty, driving and conviction records.
$54,504 to $69,565 beginning Annual Salary – Plus Full Benefit Package
All new Police Officers will be hired at the beginning salary, depending on previous law enforcement experience.
- Interacts with citizens to identify and solve problems in their neighborhoods
- Assists the public; keeps law and order; directs traffic
- Relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Makes necessary arrests; keeps records and writes reports of all important incidents
- Patrols a beat on foot or in a patrol car
- Directs involvement with community members to organize crime prevention activities in neighborhoods
- Responds to citizen calls for assistance during crisis situations
- Communicates directly with neighborhood residents to identify and solve problems
- Answers questions from the public
- Assists people who are involved in accidents
- Checks property, suspicious persons and all others suspicious or dangerous conditions within the City of Minneapolis Investigates complaints and conducts preliminary investigations at the scene of crime, accident or other police matters
- Enforces traffic laws and responds to traffic accidents
- Testifies in court by presenting evidence and facts
- Drives a patrol car or other motor vehicle and works various shifts and weekends
- Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Knowledge of laws, ordinances and police procedures as they apply to situations encountered on duty.
- Ability to exercise discretion and good judgment in emergency situations.
- Ability to relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Candidates unable to complete any portion will not be eligible to move on in the hiring process.
- The City of Minneapolis reserves the right to select and limit the number of candidates in the exam process, based on a review of application materials.
- The examination will consist of training & experience rating, fitness exam, background check, and an oral exam.
- The eligible list of qualified candidates is established by Human Resources after testing is complete.
- Final selections are made upon the completion of the eligible list and conditional job offers are then made.
NOTE: The Minneapolis Police Department reserves the right to have candidates retake the physical fitness test at time of hire.
Last updated Aug 16, 2017