Housing & Fire Inspections

Public Service Center
250 South 4th Street, Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Report a Problem

Abandoned Vehicles Centered Text
Housing Code Violations Icon Centered
Long Grass & Weeds Icon Centered
Rental Unit Problems Centered Icon
Trash or Rubbish Centered Icon


Minneapolis311iconCall 311 for information about the City and City services.



Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.


Tenant Notification Requirements

Who to Call Poster

Minneapolis Code of Ordinances 244.2000(a) requires that every rental license holder post the rental license certificate and any other required informational posting as approved by the director of Regulatory Services in a conspicuous location. Previously, we required the posting of a basic 311 poster. As part of our efforts to improve communication between Housing Inspections, rental property owners, and renters, the new required informational posting is the Who to Call poster.

In order to be in compliance with the ordinance, you must take the following steps:

1. The rental license certificate and Who to Call poster must be conspicuously posted in a frame or frames with transparent covers in the common area immediately adjoining the front or main entrance of the building. If there is no common area in the front of your building, the license and poster should be posted at or near the entrance of each dwelling unit. If your rental unit is a condo unit in a building with five or more units, you do not need to post the license and Who to Call poster, but you must provide a copy of each to your tenants.

2. The old 311 posters should be discarded and replaced with a color copy of the Who to Call poster.

You can obtain the poster free of charge in the following ways:

Printable Who to Call Posters

Voter Registration Information

Minneapolis Code of Ordinances 244.2000(f) requires that owners of rental property provide information about how a voter may register in the State of Minnesota to all tenants who are 18 or older at the time they first move in. The City's Elections & Voter Services Division will be supplying the required information in both electronic and hard copy formats at no cost to property owners for distribution.

Environmental Notification Requirements

Lead Disclosure

There are a number of important federal, state, and local requirements to disclose the presence of lead (usually in paint) at rental properties, and in particular properties built before 1978. Please visit the Health Department website for a comprehensive look at these requirements.

Site Specific Disclosure

Minneapolis Code of Ordinances 244.275 requires owners of rental property in designated environmental testing, abatement, removal, or remediation sites to notify tenants of potential or confirmed environmental contamination.

South Minneapolis Arsenic Contamination Zone

Arsenic contamination was discovered around the site of the former CMC Heartland Lite Yard plant by health agencies who suspected that wind might have blown dust from the site into surrounding neighborhoods. Several companies produced pesticides at the site from 1938 to 1968. The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) conducted extensive testing on properties surrounding the plant, confirming the contamination, and a South Minneapolis Arsenic Contamination Zone was established. The plant was located on five acres at the northwest corner of the intersection of Hiawatha Avenue & 28th Street East.

All residential properties, schools, daycares, and parks within a .75 mile radius of the plant site have been sampled to determine the extent of contamination, unless access was denied by the owner.

Southeast Como Trichloroethylene Vapor Intrusion Zone

A source of potential trichloroethylene (TCE) contamination has been identified in the Southeast Como neighborhood where historical waste disposal activities were located at a site owned and operated by General Mills from about 1930 to 1977. From the 1940s to the early 1960s, solvents were disposed of in a soil absorption pit located in the southeast portion of the property at 2010 East Hennepin Avenue. Subsequent discovery of TCE, a commonly-used solvent and degreaser, led to extensive cleanup activities in the area. Some of the groundwater in the area is contaminated and could release vapors that can rise through the soil and seep through basement and foundation cracks into indoor air. This is known as "vapor intrusion."

The Minneapolis Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) will be overseeing an investigation by General Mills. MPCA is requesting that property owners cooperate with General Mills and its contractors to allow soil vapor sampling in and around your home or building. A map of the contamination zone is available here.

The East Hennepin property itself is currently a state and federal Superfund site. However, extensive groundwater testing over many years has shown that TCE concentrations have substantially decreased and the groundwater plume itself has stabilized. It no longer poses a risk to area drinking water supplies or to the Mississippi River.

Rental Property Owner Responsibilities

Owners of rental property within the contamination zones are obligated to inform their renters about the contamination and any related communication received from the EPA, MPCA, or any other identified governmental agency or their agents or contractors. Violations of this requirement constitute good cause for adverse license action pursuant to Minneapolis Code of Ordinances 244.1910.

Arsenic Disclosure Letter

TCE Disclosure Letter

Additional Information

Information regarding site history, current and future clean up activities, and health concerns can be obtained from the following state and federal agencies:

For indoor air questions, information about installing a radon mitigation system, or testing for radon, contact the Minnesota Department of Health Indoor Air Unit at 651.201.4601 or 1.800.798.9050 or visit their website.

Last updated Feb 6, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Salary Compliance Notice:
State statute 471.701; Notice of Salary Compliance, requires that the City post for not less than 90 days
the job title of the three highest paid employees along with their base salary. For 2018 these were:
1. City Attorney, $186,490
2. Assistant City Coordinator Convention Center, $183,600
3. Director Public Works, $181,191


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo