Benefits Administration

Public Service Center
250 4th Street S., Room 100
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Ph: (612) 673-2282                        Fax: 612-284-7989


HRA/VEBA Accounts

The City has established a health reimbursement arrangement plan (HRA) that provides tax-free reimbursement of eligible health care expenses not paid by other insurance. Plan benefits are funded using a voluntary employees’ beneficiary association trust or VEBA. Unused funds in members’ accounts are carried over from year to year to build for future expenses while earning tax-free interest.

The City makes HRA/VEBA contributions to employees who enroll in the City of Minneapolis Medical Plan. HRA/VEBA contributions vary based on whether you choose single or family coverage. The monthly amounts are: $90.00 – single coverage, $190.00 – family coverage. 

Eligible Expenses

Generally, this account can be used to pay for health care expenses incurred by yourself, your spouse or your eligible dependents after you enroll for City-sponsored medical coverage if:

Examples of eligible expenses are medical, prescription drug, dental, vision and qualified long-term care expenses including deductions, co-payments, and co-insurance amounts you pay under the City’s medical and dental plans.  For a listing of items typically covered by an HRA, review the list of HRA Eligible Health Care Expenses. Over-the-counter drugs are not reimbursable from your HRA/VEBA account unless submitted for reimbursement with a doctor’s prescription and a receipt of payment.

Note: If you elect to participate in the Minneflex health care spending account, eligible expenses are paid from that account before they can be paid from your HRA/VEBA account.

Access to Claims and Balance Information

The HRA/VEBA accounts are administered by WageWorks.  Claims can be submitted by mail, fax, or online at  To submit a claim by mail or fax, fill out a Pay Me Back claim form and follow the instructions listed on the form. 

If you have an HRA/VEBA account, you will need to change your account setting to "Spend It" in order to submit any claims to your account.  This can be done on your online account at or by contacting WageWorks at 855-428-0446.If you wish to set up a recurring claim payment (for example, for supplemental Medicare premiums) you will need to complete a recurring claim form and follow the instructions listed in the form. HRA/VEBA Summary Plan Description (pdf)

Letter of Medical Necessity

Last updated Jul 3, 2013



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo