City of Minneapolis Wellness Program
- Eligible employees who earned 300 points in the program on or before August 31, 2018, will qualify for the a lower wellness rate on their health insurance premiums in 2019. In 2018, savings from this lower rate averaged $400 a year for a single person and $1,200 a year for a family. Only the employee is eligible to earn the discounted premium reward.
- Eligible employees can earn a $20 gift card for every 100 points they earn in the program through Dec. 31, 2018, up to a maximum of $100 for 500 points. Enrolled dependents aged 18 and older may also complete health actions for points to earn gift card rewards totaling up to $100 on the following schedule:
- 100 points: $20 gift card
- 200 points: $20 gift card
- 300 points: $20 gift card
- 400 points: $20 gift card
- 500 points: $20 gift card
How to earn points
Complete the following health actions to earn points in the program:
- CompassTM (100 points): Create your own personal path to health by taking this health assessment on your My Health Rewards website. It takes about 20 minutes to complete. Journeys will be recommended for you based on your Compass answers. When you return to Compass later and update it with new information, new Journeys will be recommended for you.
- Journeys® (50 points per Journey to a maximum of 300 points per year): Visit your My Health Rewards website to explore an interactive topic designed to improve your health with easy, achievable steps. Each Journey consists of 2-4 stages. You select the steps in the Journey that are meaningful to you, and you don’t need to complete all the steps you see. Most people choose 4-6 steps per stage. When you get a message that your Journey is complete, you’ll receive 50 points. Expect a Journey to last 4-6 weeks, depending on your unique path. Journeys integrate with social media sites so you can share your progress with others.
- TrackTM (1 point per day to a maximum of 200 points per year): Log what you do each day in categories such as exercise, healthy eating and life balance. When you move your daily wellness meter to 500, you’ll earn a point for that day. You can enter your activities into Track from your My Health Rewards website or sync activities from mobile apps such as Runkeeper and personal devices such as Fitbit and Garmin. You can enter data retroactively, but you can’t go back more than 30 days.
- Biometric Health Screenings (100 points for the screening tests plus 25 points for each normal test result up to a maximum of 200 points per year): Check your body mass index, blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure. You can go to a work site screening event, have your doctor order your tests or use another approved provider. To find instructions, click on the Learn Your Numbers tile on the home page or the Rewards page of your personal My Health Rewards website. Points for this health action can only be earned once per year.
- Next-Steps ConsultTM (25 points): Complete a 15-minute phone call with a trained health educator who will review the results of your Compass health assessment to recommend health improvement opportunities for you.
- Preventive Cancer Screenings (25 points per eligible screening per year): Visit the Rewards page of your My Health Rewards website to report that you are up-to-date during the 2018 plan year for breast, cervical and colorectal cancer screening exams that are appropriate for your age and gender.
- Preventive Dental Examinations (25 points): Visit the Rewards page of your My Health Rewards website to report the date of a preventive dental exam you received between September 1, 2017 and August 31, 2018. Points for this health action can only be earned once per year.
- Flu vaccination (25 points): Visit your My Health Rewards website to report that you received a vaccination for the current flu season (September 2017 to May 2018). Points for this health action can only be earned once per year.
- Volunteer (25 points): Visit the Rewards page of the My Health Rewards website to report any date on which you volunteered in the community between September 1, 2017 and August 31, 2018.
- Health & Wellness Classes (25 points per class up to a maximum of 50 points): Visit your My Health Rewards website to report that you attended up to two work site health and wellness classes by August 31, 2018. You’ll find a schedule of eligible classes here. Points for two classes can only be earned once per year.
Medica may invite certain employees to participate in one or more of the following programs. These programs are NOT available to everyone. If you are invited by Medica to participate, you will find these health actions listed on your My Health Rewards website:
- Sorting It Out (200 points): Partner with a Medica health coach to sort through treatment options for your back, knee or hip. Points for this health action can only be earned once per year.
- A Care Team For You (200 points): Partner with a registered nurse and a health coach at Medica to discuss your unique situation and address your health-related questions. Together, you can create a plan, set goals and work at your own pace to achieve positive results. Points for this health action can only be earned once per year.
- Support When You’re Expecting (200 points): Partner with a registered nurse at Medica to receive additional tools and resources to manage your pregnancy every step of the way. Points for this health action can only be earned once per year.
- When Things Get Complicated (200 points): Partner with a registered nurse at Medica to gain a better understanding of your condition, discuss treatment options and learn about available resources. Points for this health action can only be earned once per year.
Eligibility for the employee wellness program
City employees who are eligible to receive City benefits are also eligible to participate in the employee wellness program. In addition, dependents who are 18 or older are also welcome to participate in the My Health Rewards program to complete health actions and earn gift cards. Dependents can earn a $20 gift card for every 100 points up to a maximum of 500 points. However, only City of Minneapolis employees may earn points to qualify for the wellness premium contribution rate on their 2019 health insurance coverage.
All newly enrolled employees will receive the discounted lower wellness rate for the calendar year in which they begin their coverage. Employees who become eligible for City benefits on or before June 1, 2018, must earn at least 300 points in the wellness program by Aug. 31, 2018, to qualify for the discounted wellness rate on their health insurance premiums in 2019.
New employees who become eligible for City benefits after June 1, 2018, will automatically receive the discounted wellness rate on their health insurance premiums in 2019. New employees may earn points for gift cards from the date they become eligible for City benefits through December. 31, 2018.
How to access to your My Health Rewards website
If you have logged on to mymedica.com previously and do not have a new group number for your health insurance in 2017:
- Visit mymedica.com.
- Enter your username and password.
- Click the “Health & Wellness” tab.
- Begin working on health actions. (We recommend you complete Compass first. Your 2017 responses to the Compass assessment may still appear. To earn points for Compass in 2018, click the re-take button.)
If you have never logged on to mymedica.com or have a new group number for your health insurance in 2017: (You have a new group number if you switched networks during the most recent open enrollment period or if your health insurance premiums switched from the standard rate to the wellness rate or vice versa).
- Click “Register Now” at the bottom of the Site Login box.
- Complete the registration. You will need your Medica ID card for this step.
- Once you are logged into mymedica.com, click the “Health & Wellness” tab.
- Update your profile with the email address where you want to receive gift card notifications.
- Begin working on health actions. We recommend you complete Compass first.
- Read the frequently asked questions.
- Call Medica Customer Service at 952-945-8000.
- Contact the HR Service Center through the shortcut on your desktop or click here or call the Benefits Office at 612-673-2282.
RedBrick Journeys® is a registered trademark owned by RedBrick Health Corporation.
RedBrick CompassTM and RedBrick TrackTM are trademarks owned by RedBrick Health Corporation.
Information you share in the course of completing your health actions is not provided to the City of Minneapolis and has no bearing on your Medica health coverage or benefits.
Effective January 1, 2018, all participants must use the My Health Rewards by Medica website exclusively to complete the wellness program. Paper-based alternatives are no longer available.
Your health plan is committed to helping you achieve your best health. Rewards for participating in a wellness program are available to all employees; you might qualify to earn the same reward by different means. We will work with you (and, if you wish, your doctor) to find a wellness program with the same reward that is right for you in light of your health status. To request accommodation, use your City-issued computer to submit an inquiry to the HR Service Center or call the Benefits Office at 612-673-2282.
Last updated May 1, 2018