Loring Theater

Individual Landmark

Music Box Theater

 

 Nicollet_Ave_S_1407_Loring_Theater-1
1952

 Nicollet_Ave_S_1407_Loring_Theater-2
2006

Address: 1407 Nicollet Avenue South

Neighborhood: Loring Park

Construction Date: 1920

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Kees and Colburn

Architectural Style: Classical Revival

Historic Use: Culture/Recreation – Motion Picture Theater

Current Use: Culture/Recreation – Motion Picture Theater

Date of Local Designation: 1990

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture; Social History; Master Architects

Period of Significance: 1920-1955

Historic Profile: The Loring Theater was completed in 1920 as a silent film theater and vaudeville house. Built in the Classical Revival style, the theater reflects the era of progress experienced in Loring Park during the turn of the century when the area went from unpopulated land to established commercial and private properties. Aided by the expansion of the streetcar line, the Loring Theater experienced great success throughout the 1920s playing silent movies. In 1930, after the conversion to "talkies," alterations were made by Liebenberg and Kaplan, adding Art Deco details. Due to the rise in popularity of television, the theater was forced to shut down in 1955. It was sold and converted into a church by the Evangelical Association. Since then, the theater has been restored and renamed the Music Box Theater.

Photo Credits:

1952, Norton and Peel, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

City of Minneapolis, "Minneapolis Historic Properties Inventory Form," September 1989.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 23, 2011