John Lohmar House

Individual Landmark

 

 Dupont_Ave_N_1514_John_Lohmar_House-1
1971

 Dupont_Ave_N_1514_John_Lohmar_House-2
2006

Address: 1514 Dupont Avenue North

Neighborhood: Near North

Construction Date: 1898

Contractor: Peter Jeub

Architect: Peter Jeub

Architectural Style: Queen Anne

Historic Use: Private Residence

Current Use: Private Residence

Date of Local Designation: 1983

Date of National Register Designation: 1987

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture

Period of Significance: 1800-1899

Historic Profile: The John Lohmar House in north Minneapolis exemplifies many typical Queen Anne design features: a wraparound Doric colonnade porch, a knob and spindle balustrade, and the bracketed cornice. Located in a residential district formerly called "Highland," the Lohmar House represents the tastes of its owner, late nineteenth century German businessman John Lohmar, a merchant and milliner. Many residents of the Highland area were of German origin and operated businesses within walking distance of their homes. The Lohmar residence, however, is the only remaining structure retained as a single-family home in the area. Descendents of John Lohmar lived in the home until 1971, preserving its turn-of-the-century appearance.

Photo Credits:

1971, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Study," July 1986.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 23, 2011