Elbert L. Carpenter House

Individual Landmark

Clifton Court

 

 Clifton_Ave_314_Elbert_Carpenter_House-1
1910

 Clifton_Ave_314_Elbert_Carpenter_House-2
2006

Address: 314 Clifton Avenue

Neighborhood: Loring Park

Construction Date: 1906

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: William Channing Whitney

Architectural Style: Georgian Revival

Historic Use: Private Residence

Current Use: Commercial - Offices

Date of Local Designation: 1978

Date of National Register Designation: 1977

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, Significant Person

Period of Significance: 1900-

Historic Profile: Situated on a bluff overlooking Loring Park, the Elbert L. Carpenter House was constructed in 1906 according to the design of William Channing Whitney. The red brick house was completed in the Georgian Revival style featuring a low hipped roof, a symmetrical façade, and an ionic portico. A porte-cochere acts as an entryway to the carriage house which mimics the design of the main house. The residence on Clifton Avenue was home to a prominent lumber-businessman who has also been attributed with helping to organize the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra.

Photo Credits:

1910, Sweet, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," January 1977.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 21, 2011