John G. Gluek House & Carriage House

 

 

 Bryant_Ave_S_2447_John_Gluek_House_and_Carriage_House-1
1933

 Bryant_Ave_S_2447_John_Gluek_House_and_Carriage_House-2
2006

Address: 2447 Bryant Avenue South

Neighborhood: Lowry Hill

Construction Date: 1902

Contractor: August Cederstrand

Architect: William M. Kenyon (House) Boehme and Cordella (Carriage House)

Architectural Style: Georgian Revival/ Queen Anne

Historic Use: Private Residence

Current Use: Private Residence

Date of Local Designation: 1987

Date of National Register Designation: 1990

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture

Period of Significance: 1900-

Historic Profile: The John G. Gluek House marks the transition from the popular Queen Anne style of architecture in the nineteenth century to a "colonial" or NeoGeorgian form that became fashionable in the early twentieth century. While its ornamentation and front porch are derived from predominantly Georgian prototypes, the massing is consistent with Queen Anne architecture. The main house, designed by William H. Keyan, was the home of John G. Gluek, the son of Gottileb Gluek. Gottileb founded the Gluek Brewing Company on the banks of the Mississippi River. It grew to become one of the largest distributors of beer in the Midwest. John Gluek acted as the secretary-treasurer of the family business until his death in 1908.

Photo Credits:

1933, Trucks loaded with cases of Gluek Beer after the repeal of Prohibition, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

City of Minneapolis, "National Register of Historic Places Inventory – Nomination Form," 1983.

Updated: August 4, 2011

Last updated Nov. 22, 2011