Linden Hills Methodist & Episcopal Church
Dharma Field Zen Center
Current Address: 3118 West 49 th Street
Historic Address: Upton Ave. and W. 44 th St.
Construction Date: 1907
Contractor: Emil Johnson
Architect: Downs and Eads
Architectural Style: Tudor Revival , Craftsman
Historic Use: Religious - Church
Current Use: Spiritual Facility
Date of Local Designation: 1987
Date of National Register Designation: N/A
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1900 -
Historic Profile: Constructed in 1907, the Linden Hills Methodist Episcopal Church was designed to blend into the predominantly residential neighborhood. Architects Harry T. Downs and Harold H. Eads employed the Tudor Craftsman Style, a style very common among residential architecture, but uncommon for churches. The stucco exterior, simple box-like configuration, a prominent entrance porch, and a multi-gable roof have maintained their original integrity even though the building has relocated and changed owners numerous times. In 1916 St. Andrews Lutheran Church purchased the building and moved it from its location on Upton Avenue to its current location on 49 th Street. In 1949 a bell tower was constructed, but has recently (2001) been removed in an effort to restore the original design.
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," September 1985.
Updated: February 2007
Last updated Nov. 23, 2011