Linden Hills Branch Library

Individual Landmark

 

 

 43rd_St_W_2900_Linden_Hills_Library-1
1931

 43rd_St_W_2900_Linden_Hills_Library-2
2006

Address: 2900 West 43 rd Street

Neighborhood: Linden Hills

Construction Date: 1931

Contractor: Pike and Cook

Architect: Vanderbilt and Bard

Architectural Style: Tudor Revival

Historic Use: Public - Library Branch

Current Use: Public - Library Branch

Date of Local Designation: 1997

Date of National Register Designation: 2000

Area(s) of Significance: Social History

Period of Significance: 1931-1949

Historic Profile: The Linden Hills Branch of Minneapolis Public Libraries originally opened in 1911 on the first floor of the Lake Harriet Commercial Club. It wasn’t until 1931, under the supervision of the influential head librarian Gratia Countryman that the popular library moved to its present location. Designed by Joseph Victor Vanderbilt, long-time resident of Linden Hills, this new library housed nearly 10,000 books. Edith Frost, head librarian of the Linden Hills Branch, became a focal member of the community, serving for over thirty years. Restoration of the windows, front entrance and roof was completed in 2002. The Linden Hills Library, to the credit of Gratia Countryman, historically has been a cultural and social center that has hosted a variety of children’s clubs, neighborhood meetings, women’s organizations, and other groups.

Photo Credits:

1931, Norton and Peel, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," December 1998.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov. 21, 2011