Concrete Block House #4

Individual Landmark

 

 3rd_St_N_2619_Concrete_Block_House_4-1
1984

 3rd_St_N_2619_Concrete_Block_House_4-2
2006

Address: 2619 Third Street North

Neighborhood: Hawthorne

Construction Date: 1885

Contractor: Union Stone & Building Company

Architect: S. Littlefield

Architectural Style: Concrete Block

Historic Use: Private Residence

Current Use: Private Residence

Date of Local Designation: 1984

Date of National Designation: N/A

Area of Significance: Architecture, Invention

Period of Significance: 1880-1899, 1900-

Historic Profile: In 1885, real estate entrepreneur, William N. Holway, formed the Union Stone and Building Company in Minneapolis. Their largest contribution to the city was a cluster of concrete block houses and rowhouses on the north-side of Minneapolis between 3 rd and 4 th Streets and 26 th Avenue North. Eight houses as well as an eleven unit rowhouse remain as examples of the very early use of concrete blocks as an artistic architectural material. In her article, "Early Development of the Artistic Concrete Block," Ann Gillespie states that the introduction of pre-cast concrete into North America occurred in the late 1860s. Even though the new building material offered the advantages of being easily formed to resemble natural stone at a considerably lower price, the widespread use of concrete blocks in residential structures was never widely embraced. The community developed by William Holway is an exception. Although the buildings were designed by individual architects, they all share similar stylistic elements -- two and one half stories featuring side hall plans rectangular fenestration and roofs of multi-gable variety with ornamented primary façade dormers. All of the houses, with the exception of one, have retained their original concrete exteriors and merit their historic status.

Description: Two and one-half story; vernacular Queen Anne Style; reddish color cast concrete block construction; modified cruciform plan; wood shingled attic dormer. Primary façade has offset main entrance covered by open wooden entry porch which forms an open balcony above. Identical plan to 2611 and 2617.

Photo Credits:

1984, National Register of Historic Places Inventory – Nomination Form

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

City of Minneapolis, "National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," February 1982.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov. 21, 2011