Hosmer Branch Library

Individual Landmark

Thirty-Sixth Street Branch Library

 

 36th_St_E_347_Hosmer_Library-1
1920

 36th_St_E_347_Hosmer_Library-2
2006

Address: 347 East 36 th Street

Neighborhood: Central

Construction Date: 1916

Contractor: James H. Brown and Co.

Architect: Henry D. Whitefield

Architectural Style: Tudor Revival

Historic Use: Public - Library Branch

Current Use: Public - Library Branch

Date of Local Designation: 1997

Date of National Register Designation: 1990

Area(s) of Significance: Social History, Historic Personages, Architecture

Period of Significance: 1916- 1949

Historic Profile: In the first quarter of the twentieth century, as rapidly growing immigrant populations flocked to Minneapolis, the Hosmer Branch of the Public Library provided an accommodating community and educational center for the new residents. At the time of its construction in 1916, the Hosmer Branch stood in a sparsely developed residential Scandinavian neighborhood. Only a block away from the new Central High School, Hosmer represented the expansion of municipal services toward the outskirts of the city. Hosmer Library Branch remains a lasting example of the legacy of head librarian Gratia Countryman. Countryman, who was responsible for the development of thirteen neighborhood branch libraries during her tenure, believed that a library should be, "More than just an intellectual warehouse; it should be a social force that would intervene in people’s lives to improve their welfare." Aided by funding from the Carnegie Corporation, the Hosmer Branch has been a focal point of the neighborhood with its distinguished Tudor revival architecture.

Photo Credits:

1920, courtesy of Minneapolis Public Libraries

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 21, 2011