HEALTHY VENDING IN MINNEAPOLIS PARKS
Healthy Vending Project Overview
The Minneapolis Health Department (MHD) is partnering with 10 Minneapolis parks to pilot a healthy vending project to develop a sustainable and successful model of healthy vending in public places.
Goals of Healthy Vending in the parks:
- Ensure that a minimum of 75% of foods sold in the vending machines meet the USDA guidelines for healthy snack foods
- Develop a model of healthy vending for the park system that provides healthy food options and maintains revenue for parks
- Implement the healthy vending model across all Minneapolis Park and Recreation sites
Progress so far:
- Collected baseline data on percent of healthy foods in vending machines: Average across parks was at 4%
- In August, the average of healthy products was up to 68% and still moving towards the 75% goal
- Conducted taste tests with park users to identify desired healthy products
- Worked with vending machine operators to transition healthy products into the vending machines.
MHD staff continue to work with vending machine operators to achieve the goal of 75% healthy snacks. Once achieved, staff will monitor sales and alter product offerings until a sustainable, revenue-generating, easy-to-use model is developed.
Sarah Reuben, MA
Phone: (612) 673-2672
Last updated Aug 20, 2015