YOUTH TOBACCO PREVENTION
News and Upcoming Events
The Health, Environment and Community Engagement Committee of the Minneapolis City Council will hold a public hearing on amending the Minneapolis Clean Indoor Air ordinance to include e-cigarettes on Monday, November 17th at 1:30 PM in City Council Chambers.
The popularity of flavored tobacco products is growing among young people. Many people think hookah and cigar products are safer than cigarettes but they’re not. The safety of e-cigarettes is unknown.
The Minneapolis Health Department activities:
- Support the Tobacco Deception campaign to raise awareness about flavored tobacco.
- Partner with Minneapolis Youth Congress and We Win Institute to educate youth and parents.
- Provide resources to community members who want to act on this issue (See the "Get Involved" tab)
The Minneapolis Health Department is currently partnering with We Win Institute and the Minneapolis Youth Congress to raise awareness to parents, youth and the community about the problem of youth tobacco use.
- The Health Department did a survey of local restaurants to learn about their awareness of electronic cigarettes. Click here for the results.
- We Win Institute was recently featured in Insight News
- Shared good tobacco retail practices checklist with 49 stores.
- The Minneapolis Youth Congress collected surveys from youth tobacco users. Click here for their highlight sheet, and here for an overview of their investigation and recommendations.
- Members from the Minneapolis Youth Congress created ads to raise awareness about youth flavored tobacco and e-cigarette use. Click on the title for:
What can community members do?
- Visit www.TobaccoDeception.org to learn more about the issue
- Spread the word and you can use these fact sheets:
- Talk to your kids about flavored tobacco products
- Visit local tobacco retailers and share with them this checklist on local laws. You can use this store outreach script to help you prepare.
- Write a letter to your local newspaper about the problem of youth tobacco use.
- Minneapolis Information on E-Cigarettes
- Minneapolis E-Cigarette Policy Survey
- Minnesota Clean Indoor Air Act Information
Last updated Nov 12, 2014