Minneapolis Health Department

Public Service Center
250 S. 4th. Street, Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-2301


Directions & Parking for
Public Service Center

City of Minneapolis Health Department - Youtube Page City of Minneapolis Health Department - Twitter Page City of Minneapolis Health Department - Facebook page

Environmental Services - Air

Minneapolis Environmental Services works as the investigation and enforcement department for some types of air issues in the City of Minneapolis.

We also work with the MN Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) and the MN Department of Health (MDH) to address air concerns.

What We Do

  • Abrasive blasting includes sand blasting, power washing or any abrasive blasting. It requires an Abrasive Blasting Permit. We inspect and enforce on permitted work sites and respond to complaints.

  • Dust complaints – an inspector will respond by coming out to the site for investigation.

  • Idling Minneapolis has an Anti-Idling Ordinance restricting vehicle idling.

  • Emission source screenings – respond to complaints regarding emission sources and screen for potential threats to public health. Any concerns would then be passed onto the MPCA.

  • Noise issues see the Neighborhood Noise page for more information.

  • Odor – the City of Minneapolis has a criteria and threshold for nuisance odors. Odors have to be above the threshold to be in violation.

  • Rock crushing rock crushing requires a permit, as well as an approved dust control plan.

What We Don’t Do

  • Emission levels: The city does not enforce or deal with the permitting of emission levels for industrial or commercial sources. This is done by the MPCA.

  • Indoor air: The Minnesota Department of Health Indoor Air Quality Unit works to enforce on indoor air quality issues.


Health Department Logo - coloured jpeg

If you need this material in an alternative format please call Minneapolis Department of Health at (612) 673-2301 or email health@minneapolismn.gov. Deaf and hard-of-hearing persons may use a relay service to call 311 agents at (612) 673-3000. TTY users may call (612) 673-2157 or (612) 673-2626.

Attention: If you have any questions regarding this material please call Minneapolis Department of Health (612) 673-2301. Hmong - Ceeb toom. Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais cov xov no rau koj dawb, hu (612) 673-2800; Spanish - Atencion. Si desea recibir asistencia gratuita para traducir esta informacion, llama (612) 673-2700; Somali - Ogow. Haddii aad dooneyso in lagaa kaalmeeyo tarjamadda macluumaadkani oo lacag la' aan wac (612) 673-3500.

Last updated Dec 4, 2015