Community Planning & Economic Development

Public Arts Administration
105 5th Avenue South, Room 200
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Placing Art on City Property

Neighborhood organizations or other groups may apply to place artworks on City property or within the right of way. The policies related to these applications are outlined in the City's Public Art Policies and Procedures, for Gifts and Loans and Encroachment Permits, and in other City policies and ordinances on issues such as banner permits, signage, encroachment in the right of way, and special service districts.

Most applications are approved. One of the main purposes of the review process is to educate applicants about technical issues that need to be addressed in order for their projects to be successful. The Arts Commission and its Public Art Advisory Panel often make recommendations to the applicant for strengthening their projects, including ideas for:

Here is a list of helpful questions to consider in developing a public art project.

2015 Deadlines

There are three application cycles and deadlines in 2015: April/May, June/July and August/September. Allow two months for this process.

Paint the Pavement Projects

Painted intersections (“Paint the Pavement”) projects are allowed on sidewalks and residential streets.

Artist-Designed Utility Boxes

Most city-owned utility boxes operate traffic signals. There are two options for wrapping and painting city-owned boxes.

All Other Public Art Proposals

The City also permits a variety of other public art projects such as artistic banners, bike racks, sculptural works, benches, waste containers, murals, mosaics, etc. These may be proposed for City property (a City-owned building or lot), or for the Right of Way.

Property Owner: Before submitting an application, applicants need to determine whether desired locations are City property or within the right of way. Desired locations could also be on private property, Hennepin County property or on the property of the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board. Projects proposed for the Midtown Greenway may be permitted by the City or County, but all are reviewed first by the Minneapolis Arts Commission.

Contact us early in your planning process: To find out whether your desired locations require City approval, which policies may affect your proposal, which review bodies need to be involved, and what the review timeline may be, contact the City’s Public Arts Administrator, Mary Altman.

Last updated Mar 25, 2015