Heritage Preservation Commission
What we do
The Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission generally meets twice a month and is charged with hearing and deciding applications for preservation reviews, including certificates of appropriateness, historic variances, demolitions of historic resources, proposed nominations of landmarks and historic districts, and other matters related to preservation. Please see section 599.100 of the Code of Ordinances for the Heritage Preservation Commission’s powers and duties.
Committee of the Whole
Every two months, a joint Planning Commission and Heritage Preservation Commission Committee of the Whole meeting is held. This meeting is designed to give City staff and applicants the chance to discuss proposals with both commissions in an official forum outside of the public hearing process. For project reviews, staff and applicants present information related to an upcoming public hearing item for both Heritage Preservation Commission and Planning Commission discussion.
Meeting Calendar, Agendas, and Actions
The Heritage Preservation Commission generally meets every other Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. at:
City Hall, Room 317
350 South 5th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415
All public hearing items are subject to a ten-day appeal period after the Heritage Preservation Commission meeting. Items that are appealed go before the Zoning & Planning Committee of the City Council.
Heritage Preservation Commission Members
The Heritage Preservation Commission consists of ten persons, as follows:
- 1 representative of the Mayor
- 2 licensed architects (if available)
- 1 licensed real estate agent (if available)
- 1 person who resides in or owns a landmark or property in a historic district (if available)
- 1 member of the Hennepin History Museum (if available)
- 4 other residents of Minneapolis with demonstrated interest, knowledge, ability or expertise in historic preservation, neighborhood revitalization, archaeology, urban planning, history or architecture.
The current Heritage Preservation Commission roster may be found here. If you are interested in serving, please see the list of Current Openings and the City Clerk's Office website for additional information.
Last updated Apr 15, 2015