Council Committee on Committee of the Whole (COW)
Meets Thursday at 10:00 a.m. during the second week of each Council cycle in the Council Chamber, 317 City Hall.
Staffed by Council Committee Coordinator: Jackie Hanson (612) 673-2046 - 304 City Hall.
The purpose of the Committee of the Whole is to consider matters that do not fall under a single other standing committee, including:
- Consideration, modification and actions of the City’s vision, goals and strategic directions.
- Major enterprise-wide initiatives, with consent of the relevant committee chair(s).
- Reports regarding the semi-annual resident survey or employee survey results.
- Items that are not logically suited for another Council committee, with consent of the relevant committee chair(s).
- Items that require a simultaneous, initial hearing by all Council members.
- Emergency or other actions where the regular committee cycle is not adequate to meet sequencing needs.
- Hear reports from standing committees in advance of the full City Council meeting.
The Intergovernmental Relations (IGR) Subcommittee meets at the same time as Committee of the Whole, with the same membership, and hears items related to
- Legislation at the State, Federal, County and Metropolitan Council levels and setting priorities on legislation to pursue on behalf of the City.
- Conveying the sense of the City to the State on legislative issues.
- Granting local approval on legislation passed by the State which affects the City of Minneapolis.
- Amendments to the Minneapolis City Charter and issues relating to the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport.
Committee Membership (Quorum 7)
- Robert Lilligren, chair
- Elizabeth Glidden, chair of IGR Subcommittee
- Barbara Johnson
- Kevin Reich
- Cam Gordon
- Diane Hofstede
- Don Samuels
- Lisa Goodman
- Gary Schiff
- Meg Tuthill
- John Quincy
- Sandy Colvin Roy
- Betsy Hodges
Last updated Jan. 2, 2013