Affirmative Action Planning
An affirmative action plan ("AAP") is a combination of policies and procedures a company utilizes to prohibit discrimination and promote employment opportunities for women, minorities and disabled individuals.
Minneapolis Ordinance 139.50 requires every contractor or subcontractor with contracts in excess of $50,000 to have an approved written affirmative action plan on file with the Minneapolis Department of Civil Rights prior to entering into an agreement to do business on a City of Minneapolis contract or performing on a construction project.
Other considerations are as follows:
- Affirmative Action Plans already approved by the Department will be valid until their expiration date.
- Plans approved by the Department expire three (3) years after the date of approval.
- Developers and general contractors must submit an affirmative action plan and obtain approval prior to work beginning on the construction project.
- Second tier subcontractors, suppliers, and third tier subcontractors performing labor onsite are required to have an affirmative action plan submitted and approved prior to working on the project.
- The Department will accept current plans approved by the Minnesota Department of Human Rights (MDHR), the Minnesota Mechanical Contractors Association (MMCA), the National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) and the City of St. Paul, provided the MDCR receives a copy of the plan and corresponding certificate of approval.
- Plans may be submitted via e-mail, fax or U.S. mail. Those submitting via U.S. mail may not submit bound or stapled paperwork.
Affirmative Action Plan Options
This guidebook is intended for companies with 21 or more full time permanent employees. This number does not include owners. The business address of the company completing this plan should be located in one of the following counties: Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott or Washington.
This guidebook is intended for companies with 20 or fewer full time permanent employees. The business address of the company completing this plan should be located in one of the following counties: Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott or Washington.
This guidebook is intended for companies located out of the 7 county metro area of, Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott or Washington.
Upon approval the department will send an approval letter containing the length of time of the approval and signed by the assisting director. The Contract Compliance Officer will be referenced on this letter.
Last updated Feb. 25, 2013