City Council approves vision, goals that will guide City work for next four years
On March 28th, 2014 the Minneapolis City Council adopted the City’s vision, values, goals and strategic directions that will guide the City’s work for the next four years. City leaders set new goals every four years, resulting in clear priorities that provide long-term direction and clarify the core function of City government.
The adoption of the goals follows a public comment period in February and March when residents were asked to give their feedback on the draft vision, values, goals and strategic directions.
Beginning in April, department will use the new four year goals, strategic directions and values to begin crafting their individual business plans.
Minneapolis is a growing and vibrant world-class city with a flourishing economy and a pristine environment, where all people are safe, healthy and have equitable opportunities for success and happiness.
We will be a city of…
Fair and just opportunities and outcomes for all people.
People feel safe and are safe.
We are focused on the well-being of people and our environment.
Minneapolis is a world class city, proud of its diversity and full of life with amenities and activities.
People are connected with their community, are connected to all parts of the city and can influence government.
While preserving the city’s character, more people and businesses lead to a growing and thriving economy.
We work by…
Innovating and being creative
New ideas drive continuous improvement.
Driving toward results
Our efficient, effective work meets measurable goals for today and tomorrow.
Engaging the community
All have a voice and are heard.
Employees are supported and take pride in public service.
Building public trust
All have access to services and information.
We work in an open, ethical and transparent manner.
We work better together as one team.
We are a valued partner in the community.
Minneapolis Goals & Strategic Directions
Living well: Minneapolis is safe and livable and has an active and connected way of life
- All neighborhoods are safe, healthy and uniquely inviting.
- High-quality, affordable housing choices exist for all ages, incomes and circumstances.
- Neighborhoods have amenities to meet daily needs and live a healthy life.
- High-quality and convenient transportation options connect every corner of the city.
- Residents and visitors have ample arts, cultural, entertainment and recreational opportunities.
- The city grows with density done well.
One Minneapolis: Disparities are eliminated so all Minneapolis residents can participate and prosper
- Racial inequities (including in housing, education, income and health) are addressed and eliminated.
- All people, regardless of circumstance, have opportunities for success at every stage of life.
- Equitable systems and policies lead to a high quality of life for all.
- All people have access to quality essentials, such as housing, education, food, child care and transportation.
- Residents are informed, see themselves represented in City government and have the opportunity to influence decision-making.
A hub of economic activity and innovation: Businesses – big and small – start, move, stay and grow here
- Regulations, policies and programs are efficient and reliable while protecting the public’s interests.
- The workforce is diverse, well-educated and equipped with in-demand skills.
- We support entrepreneurship while building on sector (such as arts, green, tourism, health, education and high-tech) strengths.
- We focus on areas of greatest need and seize promising opportunities.
- Infrastructure, public services and community assets support businesses and commerce.
- Strategies with our City and regional partners are aligned, leading to economic success.
Great Places: Natural and built spaces work together and our environment is protected
- All Minneapolis residents, visitors and employees have a safe and healthy environment.
- We sustain resources for future generations by reducing consumption, minimizing waste and using less energy.
- The City restores and protects land, water, air and other natural resources.
- We manage and improve the city’s infrastructure for current and future needs.
- Iconic, inviting streets, spaces and buildings create a sense of place.
- We welcome our growing and diversifying population with thoughtful planning and design.
A City that works: City government runs well and connects to the community it serves
- Decisions bring City values to life and put City goals into action.
- Engaged and talented employees reflect our community, have the resources they need to succeed and are empowered to improve our efficiency and effectiveness.
- Departments work seamlessly and strategically with each other and with the community.
- City operations are efficient, effective, results driven and customer focused.
- Transparency, accountability and ethics establish public trust.
- Responsible tax policy and sound financial management provide short-term stability and long-term fiscal health.
Last updated Jun 16, 2015