1st St and 8th Ave N Resurfacing
Notice: The Public Works Department is cancelling the informational meeting in this neighborhood scheduled for Thursday, April 2, 2020 at the Colonial Warehouse Building due to the current coronavirus and recommendations to limit large group gatherings. If you would like to receive updates on Public Works projects, including those in your neighborhood, sign up for email updates. For more information about COVID-19 and how city services are being impacted, see our Coronavirus updates.
The City of Minneapolis, Public Works Department, plans to resurface and provide new striping to include bicycle lanes on 1st St N and 8th Ave N. Resurfacing and inclusion of the bicycle lanes will follow a phased approach:
- In 2020, 8th Ave N will be resurfaced and striped to include bicycle lanes
- In 2020, 1st St N will be resurfaced and striped to include bicycle lanes from 8th Ave N to the western edge of the bridge over the railroad tracks/Cedar Lake Trail
- In 2021, 1st St N will be resurfaced and striped to include bicycle lanes from the eastern edge of the bridge over the railroad tracks/Cedar Lake Trail to Hennepin Ave
The goals of this bikeway project include:
- Reduce vehicular travel speeds
- Reorganize roadway space
- Evaluate potential locations for midblock crosswalks
- Improve the safety and predictability of pedestrian movements
- Support existing and future bicycle demand
- Improve bicycle network connectivity
December 2019 - January 2020
- Public Works will collect corridor data and initiate a community engagement process.
January - March 2020
- Public Works will develop a layout concept for a bikeway on the corridor.
- Public Works to provide a design recommendation.
Public Works will hold a pre-public hearing meeting on April 2, 2020 at the Colonial Warehouse.This meeting has been canceled.
- Resurfacing and striping on 8th Ave N
- Resurfacing and striping on 1st St N from 8th Ave N to the western edge of the bridge over the railroad tracks/Cedar Lake Trail
- Resurfacing and striping on 1st St N from the eastern edge of the bridge over the railroad tracks/Cedar Lake Trail to Hennepin Ave
Average number of daily users
Minneapolis Public Works (2010, 2012, 2014). Four locations on 1st St N were averaged
to determine motor vehicle daily users.
Minneapolis Public Works- Minneapolis Pedestrian and Bicyclist Daily Traffic Counts. Pedestrian
and bicycle counts are generated from a count location on 2nd St N midblock between
2nd Ave N and 3rd Ave N in the year 2016.
Reported crashes by travel mode on 1st St N and 8th Ave N between Hennepin Ave and 2nd St N (2011-2015).
|Travel Mode||Reported Crashes||Reported Crashes with Injuries||% Reported Crashes with Injuries|
Minnesota Department of Transportation (2010-2019)
Note: Crash data includes full intersections of 1st St N/ Hennepin Ave and 2nd St N/ 8th Ave N, of which portions of these intersections are outside the project corridor.
Existing street design
1st St and 8th Ave
Proposed street design
See the proposed street cross sections below, as well as the full street design layout (link coming soon).
8th Ave N, 1st St N from 4th to 8th Ave N
1st St N, 1st Ave N to 8th Ave N
1st St N, Hennepin to 1st Ave N
Kristian Zimmerman, Associate Transportation Planner; 612-673-5011 or [email protected]
Last updated Apr 14, 2020