Plymouth Ave Bridge
over Mississippi River
This project involves rehabilitation of the Plymouth Ave Bridge by removal and replacement of corrosion damaged concrete and post-tensioning tendons within the bottom slab of the reinforced, post-tensioned, twin concrete box-girder cross section.
The bridge is located between W River Parkway N and Sibley Street N over the Mississippi River.
Construction Start Date:
The project shall be completed in two Phases:
This work shall include all work required in span 3 (main span) for both Eastbound and Westbound bridges. Construction is anticipated to begin mid July 2012 and continue through October 15, 2012. The bridge is anticipated to open to traffic in the fall of 2012. This work will be accomplished under full closure.
This work shall include all work to be performed in spans 1, 2, 4 and 5 for both east and west bound bridges. It will be performed with lane restrictions; phase two is anticipated to begin mid April 2013 and continue through September 2013.
For Phase I construction, the bridge will be closed to all motor vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian traffic. The bridge will be open to all traffic for Phase II construction, but there will be some lane restrictions.
Work in progress
Contact: Meseret Wolana 612-673-3527
Activities on the week of October 9th, 2012:
- Phase I – Repair work in span 3 (main span) on both bridges to be completed October 15, 2012.
- October 15, 2012 - Southside Bridge opens to traffic, one lane each direction.
- Phase II – work in north Bridge continues (span1 & 2) through end of November weather permitting, during this time Southside Bridge remains open.
Both Bridges will open during winter 2012-2013.
- Phase II work resumes on April, 2013 by partially opening the bridge through September 2013.
Activities on the week of August 8th, 2012:
- All 33 bottom slab bay repairs completed.
- All six anchor blocks and two deviators are completed.
- Web repair continued - 80% completed.
- Continued constructing two new Pier anchor blocks – 90% completed
- Began partial and full depth removal on the bottom slab bays.
Activities on the week of August 6, 2012:
- Saw cut and removed concrete in 5 bays.
- Formed, placed rebar and concrete in 5 bays.
- Continued forming and placing rebar in anchor blocks and deviators for Post-tensioning system
Activities on the week of July 30th, 2012:
- Saw cut and removed concrete in 10 bays.
- Formed, placed rebar and concrete in 10 bays.
- Started forming anchor blocks and deviators for Post-tensioning system
Activities on the week of July 23rd, 2012
-Saw cut and removed concrete in 6 bays.
-Formed, placed rebar and concrete in 6 bays.
Activities on the week of July 16th, 2012:
- Contractor mobilized and began work on the south side of the bridge.
- Saw cut and removal began for the new drainage structures on the west and east of the Bridge.
- Removed drainage pipes located inside the bridge box-girder.
- Marked and began removing concrete.
Phase I construction on the Plymouth Avenue Bridge began on July 16th, 2012.
Overall - 8% completed
Mobilization - 50% completed
Bay Repair - 5% completed
Note: Project information may change due to scheduling, weather, or other factors outside of our control. Listings will be updated as new information becomes available.) Citizens concerned with pedestrian access during construction should contact the project manager directly.
Last updated Apr. 16, 2013