Community Planning &
Economic Development

Construction Code Services
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
311 or (612) 673-3000

Un-permitted Work Complaint / Reporting

Report Un-permitted Work Online

Before entering a report online:

When entering a report online:

Service Level Goal:

Typically, the inspector will make an on-site investigation with-in 6 working days.


If the inspector is successfully able to document the un-permitted work, an order to obtain the required permit(s) will be sent to the appropriate party (owner of record / the rental contact person / the contractor). At this point, the 311 case is closed.

If the inspector investigates the complaint, but cannot obtain the evidence to document the case, the 311 case will be closed. If work continues or you can provide new information that would make it possible to document the case, please file another report or call 311.

When the inspector sends a violation order, the owner is given a due date for completing the permit process or hiring a contractor to obtain the permit. If there is not compliance by the due date, further legal action may be taken against the violator.

Last updated May 18, 2015