Community Planning &
Economic Development

Construction Code Services
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
311 or (612) 673-3000

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Truth-in-Housing Quick Overview

Truth in Sale of Housing (TISH) Reports are available online on City of Minneapolis Property Information.

  1. The seller hires a licensed Truth-in-Housing (TIH) evaluator.
  2. The evaluator performs evaluation of the property to be sold and writes a disclosure report.
  3. The evaluator files the disclosure report online at Property Information. A checklist of any required repairs will be online with the report.
  4. The seller needs to keep a copy of the disclosure report at the property so that potential buyers can see it. The seller should keep a copy of the report to give buyer at closing.
  5. If there are no required repairs, a Certificate of Approval (COA) is issued online. If there are repairs and and the seller completes the repairs, the COA is issued online. This is needed for closing.
  6. If repairs are needed and have not been completed before closing, the buyer needs to sign an acknowledgment of responsibility and submit it to the City within one day of closing.
  7. The buyer needs to complete all repairs within 90 days of closing.
  8. Once the buyer has completed all repair items, the Buyer Certificate of Completion is issued online.
  9. After either the seller or buyer completes the required repairs, a reinspection, is needed with a City inspector for work needing a permit or the evaluator who did the initial evaluation for non-permit work.
  10. Licensed contractors are needed to perform any required safety checks.
  11. Licensed contractors are often required to do the permit work.
  12. The buyer needs to complete all the required repairs before they can get a new TISH report to re-sell the property.
  13. TISH reports are vaild for 2 years or one sale. The report must be in the sellers name.

Last updated Sep 5, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo