A Certificate of Competency card is issued by the City of Minneapolis as proof that the cardholder has the necessary qualifications, training, experience, and technical knowledge to install, alter, repair, and service equipment and systems in a given trade.
Who Needs a Competency Card
Persons must obtain a Certificate of Competency card before working in the City of Minneapolis in the following trades for Master and Journeymen:
- Fuel Gas Fitter
- Plumber/Gas Specific
- Warm Air/Ventilation
- Steam and Hot Water
Reciprocating A Saint Paul Competency Card
At this time, the only reciprocity agreement that the City of Minneapolis has is with the City of Saint Paul. To receive a Minneapolis Certificate you must have a current Certificate of Competency from the City of Saint Paul. Send a copy of both sides of your Saint Paul card. If both sides are not available print your name, address and phone number on the copy. Indicate what trade or trades you want to reciprocate and send a check or money order in the amount of $30.00 payment per trade. Your check or money order should be made payable to the Minneapolis Finance Department and mailed along with the copy of your Saint Paul card to Construction Code Services, 250 South 4th Street, Room 300, Minneapolis, MN 55415. On the outside of the envelope put "Attn: Comp Cards". Your Minneapolis certificate will be mailed back to you within a week of receiving your request.
For information on how to reciprocate a City of Minneapolis certificate to a Saint Paul certificate you should contact the Saint Paul Department of Safety and Inspections at (651) 266-8989.
Applying for the Competency Card Exam
In order to receive a City of Minneapolis Competency Card:
- Submit an application form (via email, fax or mail) along with educational transcripts and/or apprenticeship training program certificate.
- Please note: applicants will need a minimum of five years work experience prior to applying.
- When filling out the application, please be sure to print clearly. The applicant information will be used to create your Notification of Exam Approval Form. The information must match the ID that you will present at the Exam Center.
- Individuals applying to take the Plumbing/Gas Specific exam need to have a state plumbing license in a trade level equal to the trade level exam they are applying for. Note- this is not enough to qualify for the exam. Applicants need to show gas specific education to qualify to take the Plumbing/Gas Specific exam.
After the application is received:
- The Minneapolis Building Official will review your application and determine if you are eligible to take the certification exam.
- City staff will send you an authorization letter with the details regarding scheduling your exam.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to read the Examination Information Bulletin for important information on examination requirements, procedures, and references allowed during the exam administration. See exam content and references below.
Master and Journeyman Fuel Gas Fitter Content and References
Master and Journeyman Plumbing/Gas Specific Content and References
Master and Journeyman Refrigeration Content and References
Master and Journeyman Warm Air/Ventilation Content and References
Master and Journeyman Steam and Hot Water Content and References
After the Exam has been Taken
- If you pass the exam, please mail in a copy of the results and a check for $30 per trade. You will receive your Certificate of Competency Card in the mail once the results are received and the payment is processed.
- There is a 60 day waiting period after a failed exam result before a new authorization letter will be sent to you.
Contact Competency Card Office
Minneapolis Certificate of Competency
Public Service Center
250 South 4th Street, Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: 311 or 612-673-3000
Last updated Jan 8, 2018