Community Planning &
Economic Development

Construction Code Services
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
311 or (612) 673-3000

Certificate of Competency Cards (Comp Cards)


Effective April 6, 2016 all competency card exams were updated to the most current codes. Please check the links below for the reference materials for study purposes and the books that will be permitted into the exam facility.

How Do I Get My Competency Card After I Pass The Exam?
Mail your exam score report with a check for $30.00 made payable to Minneapolis Finance Department to The City of Minneapolis Comp Cards,
250 South 4th Street, Room 300, Minneapolis, MN 55415. Your card will be processed and mailed to you.

JOURNEYMAN AND MASTER PLUMBER/GASFITTER, GASFITTER, REFRIGERATION, WARM AIR VENTILATION, and STEAM AND HOT WATER EXAM APPLICATIONS ARE BEING ACCEPTED - The City of Minneapolis is accepting applications for the Journeyman and Master Plumber/Gasfitter and the Journeyman and Master Gasfitter exams. If eligibility is approved, a Notification of Exam Approval will be mailed to you. Once you receive notification of approval you may apply for and schedule your examination. Test facility contact information and a link to the Exam Information Bulletin will be included with your Notification of Exam of Approval.

It is your responsibility to read the Examination Information Bulletin for important information on examination requirements, procedures, and references allowed during the examination administration.

Computer-testing is administered frequently and at several sites. Information on where to find this information will also be included on your Notification of Exam Approval.

When filling out the application, please be sure to print clearly, the Candidate information will be used to create your Notification of Exam Approval Form. The information must match the ID that you will present at the Exam Center.

Master and Journeyman Fuel Gas Content and References

Master and Journeyman Plumber/Gasfitter Content and References

Master and Journeyman Refrigeration Content and References

Master and Journeyman Warm Air Ventilation Content and References

Master and Journeyman Steam and Hot Water Content and References


COMPETENCY CARD RENEWALS - The City of Minneapolis Certificates of Competency are due to expire on November 1st of each year. Statements for the renewal of these certificates are mailed in the fall.

To facilitate the processing of your payment, please use the return envelope included with your payment. To avoid having to pay a late fee your payment must be at the Minneapolis Finance Department on or postmarked by 11/30 of each year. Any payment made on or after 12/1 of that year will be subject to a late fee.

Persons wishing to reciprocate a City of Saint Paul certificate must first have their new Saint Paul certificate in order to receive a new certificate from the City of Minneapolis. 

Frequently Asked Questions About Competency Cards

What is a Certificate of Competency?

A certificate issued by the City of Minneapolis that attests to the fact that the cardholder has the necessary qualifications, training, experience, and technical knowledge to install, alter, repair, and service equipment and systems in a given trade.

Who needs one?

Persons working as journeymen or master heating, ventilating and air conditioning installer, gas fitter, refrigeration installer, steam and hot water systems installer, oil burner installer, or plumber/gas fitter within the city must first obtain a Certificate of Competency in the appropriate trade or trades. However, a Certificate of Competency does not qualify as a Trade License.

What is the difference between a license and a competency card?

In the City of Minneapolis, "license" is used to describe a business that has been granted a license and that may obtain permits to do work in Minneapolis in the mechanical and plumbing trades. A journeyman or master installer Certificate of Competency is required to work for a company licensed in Minneapolis.

What about apprentice cards?

The City of Minneapolis no longer issues or requires apprentice certificates. Plumbers are required to be enrolled in a registered apprenticeship program before obtaining a plumbing license. Apprenticeship information for workers in the mechanical/hvac trade is available from the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry, 1-800-342-5354 or on the DOLI website.

What about reciprocity?

At this time, the only reciprocity agreement that the City of Minneapolis has is with the City of Saint Paul. To receive a Minneapolis Certificate you must have a current Certificate of Competency from the City of Saint Paul. Send a copy of both sides of your Saint Paul card. If both sides are not available, print your name, address and phone number on the copy. Indicate what trade or trades you want to reciprocate and send a check or money order in the amount of $30.00 payment per trade. Your check or money order should be made payable to the Minneapolis Finance Department and mailed along with the copy of your Saint Paul card to Construction Code Services, 250 South 4th Street, Room 300, Minneapolis, MN 55415. On the outside of the envelope put "Attn Comp Cards". Your Minneapolis certificate will be mailed back to you within a week of receiving your request.

For information on how to reciprocate a City of Minneapolis certificate to a Saint Paul certificate you should contact the Saint Paul Department of Safety and Inspections at (651) 266-8989.

How can I get a duplicate of my card?

Your certificate must be in your possession while on the job. If you should misplace your card or your card becomes unreadable you may request a duplicate at no charge. Your request must be made in writing either by fax or mail. Your request should include your name, address, phone number and certificate number(s), sign and date your request. Fax your request to (612) 673-5814, Attn Comp Cards or by mail to the Dept of Inspections, 250 So 4th St, Rm 300, Mpls, 55415. On the outside of the envelope put "Attn Comp Cards". Duplicate cards may only be requested by the card holder.

How do I renew my compcard?

Renewal notices are mailed on October 1st for the following year. If you have not received your renewal notice by October 15th, please call 311 so we can verify your mailing address.

Is there a lower renewal rate when I retire?

No, the fee to renew your comp card remains at $30 per trade.

Can I obtain a refund for payment of my compcard?

No, once you have renewed your comp card, it is not refundable.

Where do I find my compcard permit number?

Certificate of Competency Card

Last updated Dec 14, 2016



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service


facebook25x25 twitter25x25 youtube25x25 Minneapolis311icon logo tv 14 footer icon image linkedin_32x32