Code Compliance for Condemned Buildings
- An inspection is needed before you begin any work. Call (612) 673-5805 for information.
Owners of vacant, boarded and condemned properties must apply for and obtain a code compliance inspection before starting any work or obtaining permits to rehab the property. Code compliance inspection fee can be found on the Director’s Fee Schedule (pdf) .
- A cash deposit is required before any work can start.
A $2,000 cash deposit (refundable) is required before any rehab work can start and before any permits will be issued. Permit fees are paid in addition to the deposit.
- Licensed contractors are required to do the work.
Licensed contractors are required to do building, electrical, plumbing or mechanical work, and must pull their own permits.
- An inspection is needed after the work is completed, and a Certificate issued, before anyone can move in.
After the contractors complete all the work, a final inspection is needed. After all the work is approved, a certificate of code compliance will be issued. A Certificate of Code Compliance is necessary before a vacant, boarded and condemned building can be occupied, or before you can obtain a rental license.
- To sell a condemned property a code compliance inspection is needed instead of a Truth in Housing Inspection.
To sell a boarded building or a Chapter 249 list or condemned property, a valid code compliance inspection report is required. The seller must have a Code Compliance Inspection before the property is shown. The code compliance inspection report (orders) must be available for potential buyers to read at the property.
- To buy a condemned property, an Acknowledgement of Responsibility for Code Compliance Form (pdf) needs to be completed by the buyer and submitted to the City.
- Code compliance forms for selling, buying, or rehabbing a condemned property.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Code Compliance Program
Apply for a code compliance inspection
To apply for a code compliance inspection, call (612) 673-5805.
Application form for code compliance inspection.
Additional State Code Information
Last updated Nov 27, 2013