Small businesses are a big deal. They drive our economic growth. Minneapolis-Saint Paul has the fourth highest concentration of small businesses in the nation. Why do business in Minneapolis?
Looking for resources to grow or expand your business? Check out the City of Minneapolis’s new Grow North program.
The metro has many up-and-coming companies on the Russell 2000 Index –
more small business per capita than just about any other city.
- Technical Assistance is available to Minneapolis businesses and entrepreneurs through the Small Business Technical Assistance Program.
- Several other organizations offer business consultation services and events to help you succeed, including SCORE, the Twin Cities Small Business Development Center at St. Thomas University, MCCD, and the University of Minnesota Office for Business & Community Economic Development.
- Read information and guidance from the State of Minnesota on starting a business in Minnesota. The State has a related blog, Minnesota Business 101, that discusses a range of topics for new businesses.
- Search for available land, commercial or industrial properties in the metro via an online tool from the Minnesota Commercial Association of Real Estate or call Miles Mercer at (612) 673-5043.
- The City offers a wide array of financing programs for Minneapolis businesses, ranging from $1,000 to $10 million, as well as staff assistance in selecting the appropriate program.
- The Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce has programs and a diverse member network to help your business succeed.
- Connect with neighborhood business associations (pdf) and other business owners to stay informed.
- The Metropolitan Consortium of Community Developers is an association of community development organizations committed to expanding the wealth and resources of neighborhoods through housing and economic development initiatives.
- The Minneapolis Downtown Council is the central business district association that works to preserve and enhance a vital and attractive downtown for the people who invest, work, shop, visit and live in Minneapolis.
City Staff Can Help!
The City’s Department of Community Planning & Economic Development has a variety of resources to help your business succeed. Call us for information on:
- Business Licensing: Call (612) 673-2080.
- Permits for construction, remodeling, and renovation projects and zoning questions: Call 311 or (612) 673-3000 or visit the service center downtown.
- Business financing programs: Call (612) 673-5072.
- Workforce and training assistance: Mark Brinda at (612) 673-6231.
- Site selection and general business questions: Miles Mercer at (612) 673-5043.
We look forward to working with you!
Online information from the City of Minneapolis at MinneapolisMN.gov
Last updated Apr 15, 2014