Violence Prevention Steering Committee Vacancies
The Violence Prevention Steering Committee was created to provide expertise on violence prevention and to serve as a liaison between the Committee and other City-affiliated projects and/or programs. This committee will contain appointed representatives from multiple sectors (voting members) and representatives of other public safety strategies from within the City enterprise (nonvoting members). The membership shall reflect the ethnic and the cultural diversity of Minneapolis and be co-chaired by one community representative and one government representative. As much as possible, the seats will include members from at least five different wards, with preference given to representatives of those communities disproportionately impacted by violence, and the following sectors: financial/business, health care, research/academia, law enforcement, faith communities, non-profit and/or youth-serving community organizations, an agency focused on workforce development, community organizers, as well as representatives from the Mayor’s Office, the City Council, the Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board, and the Minneapolis Board of Education.
The Steering Committee’s purpose is:
- Oversee the process of reviewing and updating the City’s comprehensive violence prevention strategic plan (currently known as the Blueprint for Action).
- Oversee marketing, branding, and creation of a strategic communications plan.
- Oversee the general implementation of the City’s comprehensive Violence Prevention strategic plan, including prioritizing focus areas, making decisions about programming and resources, and informing future violence prevention work in the City.
- Provide advice, recommendations, and support with high level strategic policy and legislative issues.
- Review the need for and recommend the establishment of specialized work groups/subcommittees.
- Promote and engage a cross-section of community stakeholders and partnerships in the implementation of the City's violence prevention strategic plan.
- Ensure City initiatives related to violence prevention and public safety are aligned.
- Explore and maintain strategies related to community-police relations.
- Approach the work with a lens that proactively seeks to eliminate racial inequities that lead to disproportionate rates of violence in some communities and parts of the City.
- Identify and recommend potential financial resources, advocate for funding for broader public safety, and violence prevention strategies.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until November 27, 2019.
- Seat 12: Mayor appointed two-year term beginning Jan 1, 2020 and ending Dec 31, 2021.
- Seat 13: Mayor appointed two-year term beginning Jan 1, 2020 and ending Dec 31, 2021.
- Seat 14: Mayor appointed two-year term beginning Jan 1, 2020 and ending Dec 31, 2021.
- Seat 15: Mayor appointed two-year term beginning Jan 1, 2020 and ending Dec 31, 2021.
- Seat 17: Council appointed two-year term beginning Jan 1, 2020 and ending Dec 31, 2021.
- Seat 19: Council appointed two-year term beginning Jan 1, 2020 and ending Dec 31, 2021.
- Seat 20: Council appointed two-year term beginning Jan 1, 2020 and ending Dec 31, 2021.
- Seat 21: Council appointed two-year term beginning Jan 1, 2020 and ending Dec 31, 2021.
Individuals should indicate on their application which seat number they would like to be considered for an appointment.
City Clerk Appointments
Room 304, 350 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1382
You can apply on your own behalf, nominate others for consideration, or inform the City Clerk's Office of someone to whom you'd like application materials to be sent.
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact the Office of City Clerk at 612-673-2216 or [email protected]. People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users call 612-673-2157.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Oct 30, 2019