Public Health Advisory Committee (PHAC)
The Public Health Advisory Committee has responsibility for the following functions:
- To advise the City Council regarding:
- policy matters affecting health of Minneapolis residents, and
- general roles and functions of the Minneapolis Health Department.
- To review the proposed priorities of the Minneapolis Health Department and make recommendations to the City Council; and
- To consider complaints and views expressed by residents affecting delivery of public health services in Minneapolis, forward those concerns, and make recommendations as necessary to the City Council and/or the Minneapolis Health Department.
The 4th Tuesday of the month, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. in City Hall Room 132.
PHAC has up to 22 members composed of 14 residents and up to 8 other representatives. The 14 residents are confirmed by the full Council; one for each ward selected their respective Council Member, and one selected by the Mayor.
The 8 other representatives are appointed by the City Council from the following organizations:
- 1 - Minneapolis Public Schools - Health Related Services
- 1 - Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health
- 1 - University of Minnesota - School of Public Health
- Up to 3 - At Large appointees to be recommended by the PHAC to ensure that the membership reflects the diversity of the Minneapolis community
- 1 - Urban Health Professional Advisory Committee (ex-officio non-voting)
- 1 - Urban Health Agenda Community Advisory Committee (ex-officio non-voting)
It is the clear intent that the composition of the Public Health Advisory reflects the diverse interests and perspectives of the Minneapolis community. It is the expectation that all parties responsible for the recruitment, recommendations to and approval of members shall make every effort to ensure the realization of this intent.
The committee uses the City's open appointment process.
Term of Appointment
Member terms are two years in length; no member will serve more than three consecutive terms. To maintain continuity of membership, approximately half the terms expire each year.
Ward representative and at-large positions must live or work in Minneapolis.
Last updated Aug 28, 2018