Do I Need a Pet License or an Animal Permit?
Pet licenses are required if you have 1, 2, or 3 pets in Minneapolis (dogs, cats, rabbits, or ferrets, in any combination).
Multiple Animal Permits are required if you have four (4) or more dogs, cats, rabbits, or ferrets, in any combination. The City of Minneapolis does not limit the number of pets a resident can own. However, if you have four or more pets, we ask that you complete an application and get signatures from your neighbors. We do this because owning six cats is a lot different (in terms of noise) than owning six dogs. If your neighbors have no issues with you owning more than four pets, the process is simple.
- Complete a Multiple Animal Permit Application
- Get signatures from your neighbors
- Submit the application with payment
- After your Multiple Animal Permit is approved, you need to license all your pets
Other Animal Permits
- Small Animal Permit is required if you keep pigeons, ducks, chickens, or turkeys in Minneapolis.
- Honeybee Permit is required if you keep honeybees in Minneapolis.
- Special Events with Animals Permit is required for events in Minneapolis involving any hoofed animals or an animal that is wild by nature.
Last updated Jul. 31, 2013